Thursday 11 November 2010

DEMO 10/11




Photographs captured by Frejya.

I attended the national protest against rising student fee's yesterday in London town with my university- and I must say, it was an experience. Although in my last year of education, I feel for those who's ambitions and dreams have now been crushed due to Cameron's plea of obviously defining traditional British class. The overall march was a success and we walked on a really beautiful fall day. London was covered in golden leaves and as the head of NUS chanted on the big screens while 50, 000 participants screamed. It's as if we are the forgotten generation- our voices are silent, we are being stomped on by a conservative revolution. It's not fair we have to suffer this output to older generations mistakes. However, I feel the march has hopefully made an impact. Many were there, including myself- for a peaceful, non-violent event. Some however, had other ideas.
As I was standing about 3 metres away from the doors of Millbank when the riot was happening, I could sense that the passion for the ending of tuition fee's ( the reason we were there) was lost. Anarchists and naive riot kids had taken over with rage, trashing the place- the majority with probably manner otherwise an excuse to cause chaos. I'm all for a peaceful protest and minor hatred towards what is happening with the Kingdom, but the site yesterday has now ruined our aim of funding a better future.
A friend said yesterday, ignorance is bliss. I have tried to follow politics, understand it- but my brain is like mush with it. In a way, I'm starting to feel like even bringing my own child into this world during these times would be selfish. Cameron states we all need to work together as a communal society, bringing us back several decades, but is anyone going to have motivation and passion if every inch of our power is being taken from us? We will soon be like robots in Cameron and Cleggs toy world.
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© THE SLOW LIFE | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig